miércoles, 21 de diciembre de 2016

Deception Island.

In the Antarctic peninsula, someone tries to complete an heroic feat.







Original Soundtrack by another pocket story.



Deception Island. Antarctica.


Coordinates 62°58′37″S 60°39′00″W




Situated off the coast of Antarctica, Deception Island was once used for whaling, but now houses tourists and research centers.




Ricardo “Cate” López. Chilean swimmer.



Julieta and Cate wanted to swim in the same place (Deception Island from Punta Perford to Punta Collins) and the same distance (1 mile) as Tiburon (former swimmer) did in 32 minutes.

They traveled by airplane from Punta Arenas to Rey Jorge Island on February 24th and then they took an Ice boat to Deception Island. On February 27th, they both swam in 0.5°C (33°F) water. Julieta took 36 minutes and Cate finished in 22 minutes.

" My first sensation at the moment of putting a foot in such cold water was traumatic, I felt as if a thousand needles nailed me, I felt the same thing when I put my hands and finally my head, feeling that at no time I stopped feeling, but seeing as Juliet (She cleverly protected by booties, gloves and neoprene hood), I could not give up and abandon a few meters, so I only thought that the faster he swam, the more he would get out of there."




Victor “Tiburón” Contreras




He is a technical electrician, but became known for his exploits swimming distances of up to 40 kilometers in oceans like the Pacific and the Atlantic. Only 3 hours and 27 minutes delayed covering the 22 km of the Strait of Gibraltar. Everything a record. Without having the impressive physique of the great swimmers, Victor "Tiburón" Contreras, born in the Port of Valparaiso, was never afraid of the sea: at the age of eight he was already submerged in the depths. Years later, even the sharks respected him.

"It was only when I swam in the Strait of Magellan that I covered myself with sea lion grease to maintain my body temperature. However, it was difficult to remove the fat and, above all, its smell. It needed three days to stop the stench of the product from emanating from the body."




Deception Island. Another Pocket Story 01.
More Stories @
Youtube Channelhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48a8rOTbMBPf2r21CoiYmw


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario